Sunday, August 27, 2006

Wow. I finally have all of my thank you cards done. That was a lot of writing and I'm sure that some of it is just not pretty. lol. I also started school for Fall Thursday. Tom got stuck in traffic and couldn't make it :( Bummer. But our professor seems really really cool. Very bohemian, gypsy-ish looking woman. Very smart. Dr. McKeand. Prounounced Mccain. Uber cool. Tomorrow we have two classes back to back. Here's to hoping that we don't have some horrible assholes. I really wish we'd have gotten on the ball a little earlier and registered. We completely missed out on online classes, which is a huge disappointment. We do surprisingly well in them.

So Dr McKeand was talking to us about how we grow up hearing certain types of language and how it's natural for us to use that same vocabulary. Interesting. Will start to work on bringing my vocabulary back up to par because otherwise I'm in for a world of trouble. Lol, words like worsh or ain't. Sorry mom, love you, but you use them alot ;) She was also talking to us about how deep, analytical thinkers write better. This absolutely makes sense. I've been so caught up in internet and chat writing for the past few years that I've really let my thoughts just turn to mush. I just don't think you get as deep usually on the internet. Lots of words like LOL and not so many good words like omniscient or ubiquitous. Mmm. Those are two of my favorite words. Say them aloud.....don't they just sound awesome?

Anyway, she wants us to start thinking about our mini-research paper that she's having us do to prepare for the 132 course. She's very cool in that she wants us to write something that we feel strongly about, assuming we'll write better when it's something important to us. Absolutely true. I'm not sure what I'm choosing yet, but I've tossed a couple of ideas around. Stem cell research, breast cancer awareness, the lack of good health benefits in the US, Walmart and how I wish they'd go under with all their evil practices, why with all our technology no one can come up with a pill to make you lose 100 pounds overnight.......you know, the important things.

3 comments:

Lynn said...

Wow, your class and teacher sound awesome! I like some of your ideas for your paper. Especially the on the lack of good health care in the U.S. and breast cancer research. Those two hit home with me. Good luck!

FreeCyprus said...

much congratulations on your upcoming blessed event!

Sofia said...

Sounds like a very interesting class. :-)